Pilates is a form of exercise that focuses on strengthening our deep abdominals, shoulder blades, pelvic floor and back. It also improves overall flexibility, coordination and our breathing control. Therefore it is an ideal form of exercise for those during and after an injury to maintain muscle strength. Our Pilates classes at Body Balance Clinic takes place in our own state of the art studio on the ground floor. Each Pilates exercise can be modified by the physiotherapist or instructor for each individual based on their ability. Our Pilates classes are accessible to everyone regardless of your fitness, gender or age.
The classes can be as easy or as tough as you make it. The exercises demonstrated in the classes can be made easier or harder depending on your level. Our classes here are delivered by experienced chartered Physiotherapists & Pilates instructors. Both the physiotherapists and instructors have completed relevant training in this discipline – they are experts in body movement. We have a direct link from our clinic to our classes as they happen in the same building. We ask you to fill in a screening form to ensure your safety to take part in the classes. Below is a brief description of the Pilates classes we host:
- Beginners Pilates – These are Physio led classes for those who have limited experience or a current Injury . It is an introduction to common but important movement patterns and cues. Ideal for those recovering from injury.
- Mixed Level & Advanced Pilates – as the names suggest, these classes involve more difficult exercises than those in the Beginners. It is suggested that those who have completed some Beginner classes and are more experienced in Pilates, and those who want to continue to progress their strength should try these ones.
- Pregnancy Pilates – this class is for pregnant women and is suitable for most women. If you have been doing Pilates regularly, then you can move into the Pregnancy class as soon as you feel you want to. If you have never done it before, and are generally not an active person, and are in your first trimester, we recommend not trying this until you’ve hit your second trimester. The class is completely safe during your pregnancy and it’s purpose is to improve your strength and flexibility in your pelvis and spine so that as the foetus grows, you become stronger and stronger in order to tolerate the pregnancy as much as you can. It will also allow you to recover quicker after you’ve given birth. Think of it like Prehab!
- Post Natal Pilates – this class is geared to those who have had their baby. As soon as you feel up to it, this class is more tailored to improving the pelvic ligament stability after the birthing process. You can continue in this class for 1-2 years after labour.
- Men’s Only Pilates – Taking into consideration the physiological differences between the male and female physiques, this class is suitable for the elite sportsman to the sedentary office worker. A full body exercise class to gain flexibilty, strength and core stabilty.